The admission requirements for the “Master of Arts in Game Development and Research” program are as follows:
- the successful completion of a university degree with the degree “Bachelor of Arts” or “Bachelor of Sciences” or with an equivalent or higher degree such as Diplom, Magister, Master or Staatsexamen;
- 12 months of relevant work experience after completing the first university degree. The experience can be cumulative and must be gained within the last five years before applying. Proof of work experience (e.g. certificates of employment) should be provided before the start of the first semester. In exceptional and justified cases, an extension of the deadline for submitting the 12-month work record until the end of the first semester may be requested if only a few missing months are involved;
- proof of special study-related suitability for the “Game Development and Research” degree program.
The admission requirements, in particular the study-related artistic-scientific aptitude, are examined within the framework of the so-called assessment procedure. This procedure consists of:
- the written submission of all necessary evidence;
- a detailed justification for the choice of the degree program;
- the preparation of a term paper. This is a detailed project outline of a hypothetical project that the applicant would like to implement during his studies at the Cologne Game Lab;
- a colloquium on site or, in the case of a very long journey from abroad or for other understandable reasons, alternatively in the form of a video interview. Only those applicants will be invited to this interview who have demonstrated their basic suitability in the first step.
The application phase 2023 starts on March, 1! The deadline is March, 31 at 23:59 CEST!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS WITH NON-GERMAN DIPLOMAS
Please be aware that CGL does not check the formal validity of your documents. International applicants have to submit their documents to the validation agency Uni-Assist parallel to the CGL application procedure. The deadline for Uni-Assist submissions is also March 31.
All application documents must be submitted to Uni-Assist as officially certified copies. If your documents are issued in a language other than English or German, you are required to submit a German or English language translation from a state certified translator.
For the winter semester 2023/24 you can apply in digital form at uni-assist, you do not have to send any documents by post. TH Köln reserves the right to check these documents during the enrollment.
We would generally recommend you to prepare and submit your Uni Assist materials early on. The evaluation process by Uni-Assist can take up to four weeks during peak times even longer. Your final admission, however, depends on the result of the evaluation.
Please find further information on the Uni-Assist procedure here: